Saturday 9 November 2013

Rupert Murdoch or BT? I choose radio..

The news that the Australian corporate behemoth Rupert Murdoch has lost his precious Premier League football income to BT might be of interest to you. I have to admit to being glad that he has lost out since things have been going his way for a very long time now. Having said that, I'm no fan of the overcharging, promise breaking BT so feel absolute indifference to their win since they will never enjoy my custom again.

Thank God for radio. This is the piece of my life when I can get other things done while my faithful friend in the corner keeps me up to speed with the comings and goings of the world about me. In truth, I lost interest in football when the Premier League was formed and the game became dominated by some very unsavoury characters. Although one recent retirement was good news, the culture now is not attractive to me. It is far more about the winning than playing the game in the right spirit.

The Premier League is a symbol of the Professional era which was promoted so much by the likes of Jimmy Hill in the early '60s. I hope he's happen with the outcome but very much doubt it. Just today, Michael Owen rejects accusations that he ever dived to get a decision from the referee although he does admit he "went down" once or twice. What exactly is the difference?

There used to be word for it when I played sport. We would call it cheating so if this is what you get in the professional era, I'd rather not watch...It's not pretty and insults my intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment