Tuesday 27 April 2010

Doctor O'Dell

I've just seen a BBC news headline which puts me in mind of an old Spike Milligan limerick:

Doctor O'Dell fell down a well
And broke his collar bone,
But doctors should attend the sick
And leave the well alone

The headline I read was: "Peach mown down by police".

As it happens, Peach refers to a civil rights protester killed in police skirmishes in 1979. However, if I did not know this, I would wonder what the police would be up to next. It is bad enough that we no longer see police outside the creature comfort laden confines of their top spec cars but to start bullying fruit - well its all getting out of hand.

If you ask me, fruit have rights to and I think the police here have exhibited blatant fruitism.

Speaking of the unusual, it was brought to my attention today that the prospective Parliamentary candidates for Leeds Central count a rather unusual member in their number. They have the marvellously named "We beat the scum 1-0" party. As a lifelong Leeds Utd. fan, this is the most interesting thing I have seen to do with the Election so far. Bring back the eccentrics to politics - now that's what I call change!

A quick nod to the late Screaming Lord Sutch before I depart. In one of his last manifestos, Lord Sutch espoused the merits of metricating time. Ten seconds in a minute. Ten minutes in an hour. Ten hours in a day. Ten days in a week. Ten weeks in a month. Ten months in a year. You do the maths....

No comments:

Post a Comment