Wednesday 21 April 2010

The Great Economically Inactive

Listening to the news today, I have just learned that the numbers of economically inactive people have reached a record high of over 8 million. Presumably, this figure includes only those people legally old enough to work. If true, this figure is huge. Or is it? I am a full time student and house husband reliant on a student loan and my wife for any income - although we do own our own home. On a serious note, I would dispute this term on the following grounds: I shop locally to support local jobs. I service our car locally for the same reason. I buy diesel for our car which is taxed (undersatement). I still pay council tax, car tax, car insurance, all of my tuition fees, utility bills and the TV license all of which are either direct or indirect forms of taxation.

Here is my point. Thanks to the judgement of Mr. Brown we now proudly boast the highest percentage of Public Sector workers in Europe - yes, even higher than France. Its a bit like Alex Bogdanovich beating Roger Federer on centre court at Wimbledon only the former is actually true and has regrettably been acheived. Who pays this ever growing mass of Unison loving, final salary pension guzzling, holidaying, striking "workers"? Tax payers. Whether direct or indirect, it is tax payers who facilitate this expansion and existence of Public Sector jobs. Thus, to be described as economically inactive when I give so much and care for a pre-school son is a little hard to swallow.

On the latter point, this country has an NHS which is existing in no small part due to millions of carers nationwide who go unpaid and largely unrecognised. You don't see them striking because morally they can not just walk away from their obligations. If Public Sector workers wish to strike, let them. But don't have them back and more importantly, don't replace them. Huge swathes of them are simply unnecessary and burdening us all in so many ways.

As we enter the final fortnight leading up to the General Election, I have a request for the political parties. I am not interested in your opinions of the proposals of your opponents. I only want to know what you are proposing to do about the mess the country is in. Message to David Cameron. Be bold and spell out exactly what you are going to do and you will take the Election with an absolute landslide. Don't be afraid to say where you will make the cuts - you will be far more popular than you may imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment