Monday 12 April 2010

Something funny

I have just recalled an incident which took place about ten years ago. The latter part of my sales career involved spending a lot of time with chefs. An unusual breed. On this particular occasion I was visiting a chef at one of the bigger hotels in the most popular seaside resort in Wales. The chef hailed from the North East and was fully twenty-five stone in his socks. He could not be accused by his demeanour or behaviour of angling for an invitation to a Buckingham Palace garden party. At this time, many of the hotels in the region were just beginning to employ people from other parts of Europe. The kitchen of the hotel was situated in the basement and was vast but with an unusually low ceiling. As I chatted to the chef, a very pretty Spanish waitress appeared from upstairs and proceeded to walk away from us towards the store room to find some napkins for the restaurant. As she walked away, the chef emitted the loudest fart I have ever heard. The acoustics in the kitchen amplified it enormously and all of the commis, sous and second chefs turned around to source the origin of this explosion. The pretty young Spanish waitress turned around and directed an expression of utter disgust at the chef. Nonchalantly chewing his gum and leaning against the long suffering door frame, the chef then uttered the following immortal words to her: "Howay pet, you might have the nicest arse in the building but I bet you canna do that with it". I had to leave and sat in my car for ten minutes crying with laughter. On my return to the kitchen, most occupants were still laughing uncontrollably. I don't know what became of the waitress but I doubt if she will ever forget that day.

2 comments:

  1. Anyone I may know in North Wales???
    Mick Sorahan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mick, it was at the Risboro Hotel in Llandudno and the chef was a not insubstantial lad from the North East who shared a name with an actor called Waterman. Graet acoustics in that kitchen though!

    ReplyDelete