Tuesday 24 September 2013

The problem with sign posts...

As a resident of North Wales, it is normal to see all signs with both the English and Welsh words on them. Assuming you happen to be one of the 10% who speaks both languages fluently, there is no problem understanding them. The problems only arise if everything is translated and some people don't fully understand the translation. This is a great source of mirth as has come to my attention this week. South Wales is not known for its Welsh speakers compared to the North and the West. The little village of Varteg in the Valleys has been bracing itself for a translated road sign for a while now. A petition from local residents has thus far attracted 150 signatures against the current English "Varteg" being translated in to Welsh "Y Farteg". You can see their point. The local MP and local councillors have all voiced their strong opposition to this move. They foresee years of ridicule as travellers stop to have their photos taken next to the "Y Farteg" sign before posting it on social media. The Welsh Language Commisioner supports the incorporation of "Y Farteg". Well he has to really with a job title like that doesn't he? Also, you can't very well pick and choose the signs upon which you enforce translation based on being open to ridicule. The Welsh sign for "weak bridge" always has a translation "pont wan" and the vast majority have had a letter added by people unable to resist the temptation. Its all very juvenile I know, but I can't help but raise a smile. A few years ago, I was travelling through Switzerland with my wife and happened upon a road sign which made me want to stop and have my photo taken next to it. I was forbidden. But if I ever happen to be passing through a certain municipality in the district of Albula in the Canton of Graubunden again, I might just be tempted. I shan't name it but leave it to you to google or not as the fancy takes you. To the local Swiss, it is probably not even remotely amusing. To anybody from the English speaking world though, it is an absolute belter.

No comments:

Post a Comment