Tuesday 29 October 2013

Not much of a retirement!

I wrote last week a piece reflecting on the contribution of Alex Ferguson to football. I refrained from writing one sooner to give him plenty of opportunity to fade in to background. The quest for yet more money with the release of his oddly named book, "Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography", thrust this man upon us once more just when we were getting used to life without his whinging presence.

I awoke this morning with dismay to see that he just can't stay quiet. Does he know what retirement means? Normally, what happens is that you retire gracefully in to the background to allow your successor the courtesy of some space to establish their own agenda. Poor David Moyes. If he had known that the former manager would be constantly chipping away in the background, would he have been quite as keen to take on the poison chalice? I doubt it.

The best retirements I have witnessed are those who leave the stage properly and have little or nothing to do with their former club. I would argue that ego alone precludes people from doing so. This appears to confirm what most of us have suspected for a long time. There was and is only one person bigger than the club at Manchester United. The challenge is for somebody to just issue him with a polite reminder to just go away and let his successor get on with the job. Fat chance me thinks. As I say, poor David Moyes - he's on a hiding to nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment