Monday 6 January 2014

Have you found your Epiphany?

Although it's connotations are overtly religious, Epiphany is the day which celebrates the revelation that Christ was the human Son of God. Epiphany though has come to mean an event in someone's life in which their purpose is revealed to them. I wonder how many of you reading this have had such an experience?

For some it has come to represent the time when their vocation was realised be that in the church or in one of the caring professions. I remember reading the autobiography of Clarrisa Dickson-Wright in which she had reached her nadir with her alcoholism. It is said that people have to reach rock bottom before they can embark on their ascent out of addiction. For Clarrisa, she never looked back and her Epiphany was literally her salvation. Had she not changed, she would surely have died.

By my reckoning, I've had more than one Epiphany. As there is no limit, I don't think this makes me unusual. My first was in the late summer of 2004 when my wife asked me what I wanted to do with my life. After much thought, I eventually realised that I wanted a medical career. I knew I wanted to work in Primary Care because that was where I felt I could make the biggest difference. As I approach the end of my medical degree, that realisation is just as strong as ever. If anything, it is even stronger. I haven't earned a penny in the last ten years but have enjoyed every minute of my learning. It has taught me far more about myself than the subjects which I have studied.

My other great Epiphany was rather more in keeping with the religious type. After the death of my daughter Thea from meningitis in 2006, my first reaction was to turn my back on faith. There was no longer a place for God in my life. I have never known such grief and hope I never do again. After her funeral, we departed for Europe in a camper van for some space. It was the best thing we ever did. While in the French city of Chartres, we went to the Cathedral and lit a candle. Even at that point, I had still not yet had my Epiphany. Later on our trip, we arrived in Rome and like most tourists, headed for St. Peter's Basilica. It was at the foot of the giant statue of St. Peter that I had my second Epiphany. In an instant my faith was restored to me and I was once more at peace. I could write for the next decade and not be able to express what happened in there but I know what I felt and consider myself very priviliged.

As the world celebrates Epiphany, I hope you have found your own version. If not, I hope you find it like I did - when I was least expecting it. Happy hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment