Thursday 1 August 2013

15 books that changed my life

Every book I read leaves a an impression on me. Some books have left very deep impressions and I occasionally return to them to feast on their quality. Here, I have attempted to list the 15 which I consider to have had the most profound influence on me. Some of them will always be on my list but I'm always open to the delights of a new master..
  1. The Wind in the Willows - this is probably the one book which first introduced me to the absolute joy of reading. It is just as good in adult life as it was in childhood. That is a rare feat. Its innocence is timeless and the characters seem more real by the day.
  2. Duncton Wood - this was the first long novel I read and it fired my imagination as I approached my teenage years. Its strange to reflect that the first two on my list both have animals as their central characters. Perhaps animals are more straightforward than humans.
  3. Ginger Geezer - the only biography or autobiography in the list despite the fact I read lots of them. This is well written and the the subject provides enough material for about ten books.
  4. Brideshead Revisited - although it was famously televised by Granada in 1981, I missed that and read the book first. I am so glad I did. This is a masterpiece which is unputdownable.
  5. Doctor Zhivago - I saw the 1965 film first which was brilliant. I then read the book. It didn't win the Nobel Prize by default - they couldn't have given it to anyone else.
  6. The First Circle - for anyone daring to unwrap the legacy of Stalin, this is a must. It serves as a potent reminder against the dangers of extremism.
  7. 1001 Arabian Nights - the true measure of this book is the sheer amount of time it has been with us. The stories are absolutely fantastic and absorb children and adults alike. Although it is derived from the Arabic culture, it fits well with any culture.
  8. Where Eagles Dare - few could write a thriller like Alistair Maclean and he didn't write one better than this. You are gripped from start to finish and he takes you there with him - a rare gift.
  9. The Day of the Jackal - you have to feel sorry for Freddy Forsyth. How do you go about writing a second novel when your first is as original and brilliant as this one. This is absolutely unique and a must read for any fan of thrillers.
  10. The Moonstone - although the Victorian era is inevitably dominated by Dickens, Wilkie Collins remains my favourite. I would argue that this is the first true detective novel but written in a very original and clever format. You have to stick with it but it is well worth the patience if you do.
  11. A Christmas Carol - I couldn't have 15 books and not have Dickens. I am not ashamed to say that I read this most years if only because it is so well written and it has a message for all of us which is timeless.
  12. A Handful of Dust - although I already have one Waugh novel (Brideshead Revisited), this one is an absolute gem. He wrote it early in his career and it explores some uncomfortable issues with a subtle mix of humour and gravity.
  13. The Picture of Dorian Gray - it is typical of the genius of Wilde that he only wrote one novel. What a novel though! It is based on a completely original idea and provokes the vanities which exist in all of us.
  14. The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium - for short stories, I've yet to read anyone better than Gerald Durrell. This is a rich mixture of stories which take you through a roller coaster of emotions. He writes beautifully and simply.
  15. Crime and Punishment - no apologies for another Russian novel. This one has everything and explores the depths of human frailty in a very skilful and subtle manner.  Disturbingly good book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment